Considering the fact that we have a long break due to Labor Day, I decided to go home for the weekend to catch up on some sleep, see a few friends that hadn’t left yet, do some things in Portland you can’t do elsewhere, and lastly but certainly not least eat some good food. I came home Thursday right after class, making the three hour car ride that put me into Portland in the late afternoon. Portland looked exactly as I had left it. The sun was out but getting distant in the late afternoon sky as I crossed over the Willamette River providing an excellent panorama of both the west and east sides of downtown. I had missed the city but not realized just how much until I came back. The bridge I was on is very tall and gives you a good view of much of the city. It was fun to be in a city where I could see building, shops and streets that I actually knew the names of and had even been to on a regular basis. Seattle has a lot offer and to entertain with but it’s slightly tricky when you don’t know where or what those things are.
Thursday night was kind of a disappointment in the food department as my parents had some party to attend which left me putting together my own dinner. The next day (Friday) was anything but disappointing. For dinner we chicken that was baked with parmesan and prosciutto, accompanied by fresh green beans and mashed potatoes. Both the beans and potatoes had been grown on a farm at the edge of Portland. My past two weeks in class had made me appreciate what it means to eat locally like this. The chicken was also from Oregon, grown a couple hours south of Portland. Tonight’s dinner was as wonderful as the previous dinner. We had steak (grown locally), corn (grown at the same place the beans and potatoes were from) and a dish that had barley and pine-nuts in it. I’m not sure what tomorrow night’s dinner is but I’m sure it’ will be as wonderful as the two previous nights.
The ironic thing about coming home for me is that I think I would actually gain weight if I stayed. Everyone always talks about the freshman fifteen and I decided I was going to try and not put on that weight. In the past two weeks I’ve actually become more conscious in what I eat and I exercise regularly (but I did that in Portland too) and I am actually in better shape after two weeks of college. The curious part in all this is that if I were to stay at home I’d probably actually put on weight as I’m surrounded by good food. Between, the large dinners, home-made granola and block of Dutch cheese I’ve been working on this weekend I think I’ll actually return to school more out of shape then when I came home.
Sunday, September 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment